Ted Nugent came of age at a time when a America had a military draft. Nugent did not serve in the military. With Nugent under fire over his edgy comments last weekend at the NRA, the left has revived the story that Nugent was a draft dodger. Some have even cited an apparent Selective Service document to make their case.
|From News Hounds|
For the sake of argument, let's assume the document's legit. The document's codes tell us:
We can debate Nugent's intent all day. Detractors now rehash tales of Nugent skipping personal hygiene prior to his physical to win deferment. But, even if true (and call me skeptical), soiled undies probably wouldn't rate a status of 1-Y. More likely, his last deferment reflects Nugent's long documented hearing loss associated with his early rock career.
- In February 1967, Nugent was classified as 1-S (Deferment to complete high school).
- In December 1967, Nugent was classified as 1-A (Available for unrestricted service)
- In February 1968, Nugent was reclassified as 2-S (Deferment for college study)
- In February 1969, Nugeent was reclassified as 1-A (Available for unrestricted service)
- In August, 1969, Nugent was given an armed forces physical exam
- Two months later, Nugent was reclassified as 1-Y (A designation usually given to those with limiting medical conditions. He was eligible for military service, but only in case of war or National Emergency)
- In December 1972, reclassified again. Hard to read on the document, but it may say 4-F. (Most former 1-Y registrants were reclassified 4-F, not acceptable for military service, when the 1-Y classification was abolished in late 1971)
Nugent was a long-hair madman rocker when dodging the draft was the stuff of popular myth and legend. But is there anything in his deferment history not in line with tens of thousands of others granted in the era?
One final thought. It's nice we have access to documents to help vet Nugent's record. Too bad our president prevents similar scrutiny keeping most records of his past under seal.
Updated 3:50pm EDT 4/19/2012 for clarity and to insert dropped link